While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

make new friends, but keep the old.

Whenever I am asked "What is an interesting fact about you?", I never know what to say.  I don't hesitate because I think I lead a boring life; I hesitate because I never know which route to take.  Generally, this question is asked when you're initially meeting or getting to know someone - putting the pressure on even more.  Do I share that I grew up in a small town and our family farms almonds? (but if they're from the country also they won't think that's interesting). Do I share that I studied abroad in Ireland for a semester? (hmm they may think I'm bragging - scratch that one) What about that I went to university in San Diego and have my BA in psychology? or how about that I worked at a summer camp the last two summers and love to horseback ride, white water raft, and sleep in a cabin that has rollable flaps as windows? (too rugged?) What always hits me when I think like this is "I am so lucky to even have these choices to share."

While I'm sooo grateful for all of my memories of the places/experiences, I feel even more blessed when I think of the friendships that have emerged from these experiences.  It's mind boggling to me to think that this small town girl has people she cares about scattered throughout the world.

Sometimes I can be an introvert - I love to read, be by myself, and just relax - usually with a great cup of coffee.  However, I love people.  I love getting to know them, hear their story, laugh with them, do ridiculous things with them, grow as a person with them and just be with them. Experiences just aren't as fun or memorable if you don't have someone to say "remember when..." Each one of my friends have made a difference in my life and are special to me.

Last week, I was able to skype with some wonderful, old friends from Hughson that were together for the evening.  It was random, and the timing was perfect.  As I laughed until I almost cried and we traded stories about life, I was struck at how blessed I am for their friendship.  Who would've thought that these girls that I became friends with in elementary school and junior high (one has been a close friend since kindergarten!), would still brighten my day when I'm 22 yrs old and living across the world? Crazy.  Throughout the few months I've been here, I've been able to catch a few friends either on Skype or at least Facebook, and I'm always encouraged after chatting with them. I can only hope that they are encouraged by our friendship also.

I genuinely love and care about people I have gotten to know throughout my life.

We may have became close hanging out at Pizza Factory in Hughson, being ridiculous in Disneyland on a band trip, riding horses in shorts and boots, dying our hair black (accidentally!), or going to Taco Bell for 4th Meal. 

Or maybe we endured freshmen year at Loma together, looked for pink flamingos in New Zealand, learned all of each other's quirks as roommates, hung out at the Beachcomber, or went on a spring break cruise to Cabo San Lucas.

Or maybe we got close in Europe where we listened to live music in King's Head, explored the streets of Rome, kissed the Blarney Stone, and had our own mini Thanksgiving. 

Or maybe we made fruit salad at the river together, supported each other through difficult cabins, snuck away from camp for a much needed coffee in Etna, went delirious in Wal*Mart after lots of rafting, rocked the Hoedown Throwdown, bonded even though you knocked Francisco into my Nalgene, or had a deep conversation about God, life, or our story under the gorgeous star filled sky.

None of these stories would be memorable if it were not for the people they include. I cherish each one of you and you have made an impact on my life. Thank you for being wonderful and teaching me how to pour myself into others as you have poured yourself into me.

"Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends whom we choose."
-- Tehyi Hsieh

No comments:

Post a Comment