While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

and the verdict is...she's human too!

Have you ever been in a parade? You walk down the middle of a street that is cleared just for the parade's purpose, and people are lining the streets sitting and staring openly.  Sometimes when I'm out in public in Daegu, I feel as if I'm in a parade with the copious amount of stars and second glances I get.  However unlike a parade, the street is not cleared just for me. In fact, it is usually the opposite and more often than not, I am getting shoved by an older Korean woman, especially if I may be within elbows reach of her beeline to the bus doors.

In the beginning, it was exhausting and I had to continuously remind myself to not be offended by the open stares.  Now though, I'm realizing I've adapted to it, and the best part is on the routes I do multiple times a day - usually seeing the same people every single day.  When I first did those routes, the stares were strong and I almost dreaded walking home or even to the bus stop because it made me feel like an alien.  However, it has slowly progressed for the better, and yesterday was a breakthrough.

First, I walk though the Duryu Open Market so I see the same fishman, vegetable sellers, kimchi sellers, etc. every day.  Remember me talking about the man with the little dog that adores him? Well we are now on hello basis and the dog recognizes me too! Then, 2 shop keepers acknowledged me with a slight bow instead of the normal blank stare.  Continuing across the street, I stopped to buy apples from an older Korean woman I normally buy from. She got visibly excited when I stopped in front of her baskets of fruit and added an extra apple for free!  But wait, it doesn't end there! There are these people I always pass that sit out on a low table under large umbrellas every day.  I can't decide if they are mentally handicapped or in poverty or what, but you can definitely tell they've had a rough life.  Usually they just all stare at me like I'm from Mars. Yesterday though, only one man was outside, and he did the slight bow of hello/respect and then went back to his business - like I was normal!!  I know it sounds silly, but with the combination of all of these happenings right after each other, I finally felt accepted into the neighborhood.

One more story about my neighborhood with welcome arms.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in here before, but I have found an amazing coffee shop, Ann&Andy about 10 steps from my apartment. building. This place is
wonderful yet simultaneously dangerous for my caffeine intake and my wallet.  Luckily, the lattes are the equivalent of $1.80!! whoaaa. AND the owner, speaks a little English.  Through various trips there, I found out that her English name is Vivian and she is a Christian.  She's so excited to see me come in and yesterday was no exception.  Not only was Vivian there, but so was her sister who is a former English teacher and Vivian's 5 year old son, the cutest little Korean child I've seen. He bowed and said hello in Korean and loved staring at me.  So fun.

So that's it, I'm officially recognized as a human being in my neighborhood!

In other news, as I mentioned in my video blog, I found out that I have roof access in my apartment building.  Here are some pictures from when Holly and I had dinner up there last weekend.


Dinner on the rooftop!












Last piece of information: Today is my big, intense Open Class where people come observe me teach.  Surprisingly, I didn't procrastinate and feel completely prepared.  If you know my study/school/project style at all, that lack of procrastination is very very rare.  However, now I realize why people plan ahead - it's much less stressful! 

so if you think about it, send up a prayer that the class would go well - it's at 10pm Thursday (your time)

1 comment:

  1. your roof looks amazing! I think a rooftop dinner party is in order :-)

    ReplyDelete