While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One of those days...

Monday was one of those days. You know exactly what I'm talking about. The kind of day where nothing seems to go your way no matter what you do. Life has been so peachy-keen lately for me with visitors, travel, adventures, and overall wonderfulness, that I had forgotten that days like that exist. Monday brought me back to reality with a slight slap in the face.  I was sleepy from a busy weekend, I had a supervisor take out her bad mood on me and blow something out of proportion, I forgot my trusty water bottle at my apartment, I didn't feel well, and I was overall just missing everyone and everything from home.  See? It was definitely one of those days.


So what did I do? As usual, I tried to ignore it and face the day. With a smile on my face [albeit fake], I put my effort into teaching and connecting with the students while waiting for the time to go home.  After buying a latte from Ann&Andy's on the way home, I read on my rooftop and then tried to do p90x yoga in my apartment.  I was still feeling down, so I did what any self-respecting, grown up woman living independently would do: I allowed myself a pity party. I cried, I made unhealthy but delicious food, I ate lots of peanut M&Ms, and I watched a ton of TV. To be honest, it helped.

Often I think society tells us to bottle our feelings and to "move on" from whatever is bothering us.  While I'm not encouraging you to wallow in self-pity day in and day out, I think it's appropriate and even healthy to allow yourself to really feel once in awhile.  However, you can't forget the most important step.  Post pity party, you need to pick yourself up, shake off the tears (and chocolate crumbs) and be ready to face the next challenge thrown at you.

Contrary to popular desire, life isn't all ricecakes and bibimbap.  Life is going to throw you hard days, hard months, and even hard years.  Some will be worse than others and will deserve longer pity parties, preferably with close friends who will eat chocolate with you but then know when it is time to say "okay, let's get you back in the game."

So if you're having one of those days and moving past it doesn't seem to be helping, take time for yourself - You'll feel much better. Find what makes you feel more relaxed and then do it. It'll help. 

Because of my mini pity party, I'm ready for my next challenging day... [but let's hope it isn't in the near future!]

No comments:

Post a Comment