While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

one week.

In exactly one week from this moment, I will be flying over the Pacific Ocean on my way to Busan, South Korean. Can I just say how ridiculously surreal this whole adventure is?  I feel that I will still feel that way even when I'm over there - until work starts I'm sure.

Now for the million dollar question that everyone is thinking: am I ready??

Short answer: yes. (and no.)

Long answer: Preparation wise, I'm ready. I've bought all of the recommended items (a years supply of deodorant as it's not as available over there, all the medication I might think I'll need, shampoo and conditioner to last awhile, warm jackets, vacuum seal bags for travel, and plug converters to name a few). I went to San Francisco on Monday with my mom and picked up my E-2 Visa that will allow me to live without fear of being deported in Korea.

Outside the Korean Consulate after getting my Visa!
I have begun packing.
What I want to pack...I need to downsize.

Think it'll all fit in this?


as always, there's a however. while I have all the necessary things done, I still have so much to do.  I mean, how do you pack for a year in two suitcases??  How do I know what to pack, what to leave behind, what I can buy while over there, and what I can't and should definitely pack from here? How do you say goodbye for a year to people you love and care about? If you know the answers to those questions please let me know - because I am at a loss. 

Blanketing all of this questioning, overwhelmed feelings, and anxiety is an overpowering excitement.  I'm so ready to go.  I'm ready for preparations to be over and to go.  I want culture shock and weird showers and korean food and a language barrier and adventures.

I'm still working on this trusting God for everything - for safety for myself in korea, for my family here, for Him to provide solid friends, for everything to fit in my bags, for a political calm in between the Koreas, etc.  I keep going back to this quote:

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God" - Corrie Ten Boom

I know He will provide in the next year.  Provide strength, comfort, love, reassurance, courage, determination, and so much more. 

7days. it's flying by.

No comments:

Post a Comment