Okay, right now we are in the middle of China, and had just had a day of the Forbidden City, Summer Palace, and yummy kung pao chicken. (If you didn't catch the first part of the trip, you can do so
here)
July 29.
This may be my favorite day of the entire trip - mainly because it was so surreal. Up early and with full stomachs, we hopped on a legit tour
bus (not van) at about 8am. There were only 12 of us total on the day trip and we all ended up being from different countries, which made for interesting conversation. Our tour guide was a woman whose English name was Sherry and boy was she a bundle of energy. Throughout the day she called us all "dear friends" as in "okay my dear friends, follow me and stick close!"
One of the things I was most looking forward to in China was going to a section of the wall, Mutianyu, where you take a cable car to the top, walk around, and then toboggan (like metal sled on wheels basically) down a track to the bottom. However, of course this would happen, but the day we were going - it began
pouring rain that morning. Sherry said that the toboggan would not be open with rain and we would have to hurry as the mountain roads are dangerous with flooding. Blah.
However, by our first big stop, Ming Tombs, the rain had slowed to a steady sprinkle (which still meant no toboggan later, but at least we wouldn't be as rushed) The Ming Tombs began in the Ming Dynasty and holds 13 emperors. Only one is open to the public and has been fully excavated. This tomb is called DingLing and it's actually pretty sad because when they began excavating in the 1950s, they didn't have the technology to preserve many of the artifacts, nor was the government fully in support of the excavation, so all the artifacts including the skeletons of the Wanli Emperor and 2 empresses deteriorated or were harmed in political turmoil. The Chinese government has decided not to excavate the other tombs as of now, but maybe will in the future. I always had a hard time following Chinese history and keeping all of the dynasties straight in history courses, and while that's still true now, it fascinates me!
We didn't spend a ton of time there - Sherry kept us moving while spewing a wealth of information about the site the entire time.
 |
| can't walk through it on the way in... but must walk through it on the way out! |
 |
| The way into hell (where the bodies go in)...don't worry, we used the "heaven" door. |
 |
| yep, pile of money = good luck. |
 |
| Only Chinese would get good luck from giving money, so we were off the hook. |
 |
| Shaped as a diamond because diamonds are strong - keep the bodies in. |
Back on the bus, our next stop was a jade factory. Jade is very important to Chinese culture and it was interesting to hear all of the traditions behind different types/colors/uses for jade objects (I'll let you google that yourself). We were able to see how jade is transformed from a piece of rock into beautiful objects and then were allowed to shop - a.k.a. be followed around a store by a salesperson trying to convince you that you need that jade buddha or necklace.
 |
| Jade worker |
 |
| The Jade store |
 |
| We made it to the Terracotta Warriors! (okay not really, just mini ones) |
After an interesting lunch with our group at the jade factory, we finally were on our way to the much anticipated attraction - the Great Wall of China!!! Even now, it's so surreal that I was actually there. It took about 1.5 hrs to get to the wall as we were going to the less touristy section - Mutianyu. I would definitely recommend this section if you ever get the chance to go. Bandaling is the most popular, but I've heard it's overrun with tourists and not as realistic. Mutianyu is less touristy and has the toboggan, fun cable car, etc. On our way we were able to see gorgeous countryside as well as little villages on the way. Because of the rain...we even drove through this...not around it - but through it!

Finally, we made it to the Great Wall of China. I'm going to try and not gush about how surreal, incredible, and breathtaking it was - but just know that's how it was. Seeing it for the first time was one of those moments where you need to pinch yourself to know it's true. While the rain had not ceased, we decided it added to the effect and there was some beautiful mist over the wall at times. We took an open cable car up, which looked like a park bench hooked to a cable and then hiked the steepest stairs I have ever seen as far as we could go on the restored part of the wall. It was phenomenal. Pictures, videos, and words cannot capture the magic of this place.












While I don't think I need to repeat it.. I will. The Great Wall was...well...great. I would never have guessed a year ago (let alone 5 yrs ago) that this is what I would be doing and adventuring as a 23 year old. I'm so lucky (and stubborn/determined, which I think helps me accomplish goals!).
Anyway, post Great Wall, we learned a little Chinese tongue twister on the ride home - something about "maman ti ma man ma mama mama" at least that's what it sounded like to me. A quick stop at a silk factory, and we were dropped off back at the hotel. It was Jordan and Katie's last night in Beijing, so they high tailed it to Olympic Park while Amy and I showered, relaxed, had dinner at the restaurant across the street again, and went out for a few drinks. It was SUCH a good day.
July30.
On our own from now on, Amy and I had a relaxing morning of breakfast, doing laundry, and finally heading out to Tiananmen Square to walk around a bit.
 |
| stern guards, happy rachel! |
As usual, it was scorching hot and the square has absolutely no shade so it didn't take long for us to decide that we had seen enough of the square and to head back to Pearl Market for another round of shopping. We happened upon an amazing [airconditioned] shopping area which we perused before finding the Pearl Market again and braved the bargaining. By this point in the trip, we're beginning to get head colds, our feet are exhausted, but we're still smiling...because we're in China! Our last stop in Beijing was at Olympic Park from the 2008 Summer Olympics. We made it in time to see the lights at the Cube (the aquatic center where Phelps spent all his time) and the Nest (track and field.) It was beautiful!
 |
| The Cube |
 |
| just running like they did in the marathons outside the Nest... |
Culture Shock: Babies in China do not wear diapers. They have pants that have a slit from front to back and apparently give a signal to parents when they need to go, and the parents will literally hold them as they go. In my opinion, it is nasty and cannot be possibly hygienic. We saw babies pee in planters, ashtrays in a mall, in dirt piles, and even by a trash can (not in it, by it) when you could see a real bathroom about 10 ft away. While I loved China, that is one thing that I won't miss!
July 31.
With the main attractions of Beijing checked off, we caught our flight and moved on to Shanghai. Compared to our nonstop adventures in Beijing, you might think our time in Shanghai is a little slower, but it was perfect. I fell in love with the city and it was more of the relaxing, get-away from Korea for a bit, portion of our trip. Shanghai has a ton of great shopping, areas to walk, efficient subway system, and is more modern/westernized than many other cities.
We were staying with my cousin's friend's friend (yea, try to figure that out) so we went and met them and dropped our stuff off at their apartment which was in a super nice area and met the friend, David. He was instantly hospitable and I knew it would be a comfortable stay with him and his roommate, Will. I was feeling quite under the weather but persevered as Amy and I wandered around by People's Square which led us to E. Nanjing (Pedestrian) Street and finally to the Bund, which is a beautiful area by the Huangpu River and has a gorgeous skyline.
 |
| People's Monument by the Bund |
 |
| View from the Bund - the tower is Pearl Tower. |
I'm pretty sure I've talked you out again for yet another day...so stay tuned for the final part of my China trip soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment