While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Monday, August 22, 2011

The turnaround.

I like to run.  I like how it creates a fast pulse, tired muscles, and sweat beading on my forehead. I like the way it makes me slow down and appreciate things around me that I would never notice if I had been speeding by in a car.  I like the way it forces me to think; often about subjects I have been avoiding.  I like the way it makes me feel alive.

Since I began running regularly in high school, I can't even count the number of miles these feet have conquered. They have traversed countless miles in multiple cities, states, and even countries.  Wherever I'm living, I tend to find favorite running routes and stick to them - making it easier to pace myself and use landmarks to spur me on.  No matter how many times I take the same route, I always notice something new, something to catch my eye and appreciate.  On those routes, I always have a favorite moment...it's the moment when I reach the halfway mark.  At that second, you know that while the rest of the journey may seem more difficult because you have already stretched yourself, you are closer to the goal and fulfilling what you have set out to do.

Being in Korea these past 6 months has resembled a solid, challenging run.  There have been hills to climb, downhills to jog easily, long flat stretches to just keep plugging along on, and the occasional obstacle to hurdle myself over. However, while I'm here, I'm enjoying the scenery.  I've met interesting people, experienced adventure after adventure, ate food I would only consume in nightmares, learned about a fascinating culture, and even traveled to another country to experience another culture. As we round out August, I have hit the halfway point.  I am turning a 180 and am heading back.  It's not a sprint back, you see, as I am on this run/journey to really experience it; to take my time and enjoy not just the run, but my surroundings.  Nevertheless, I'm ready.  I've hit that point where I'm glad to have an end in sight, albeit in the far distance.

My time here is still full of adventures to enjoy: a friend I know from Kidder Creek is currently visiting me for the week, my parents are coming in a few weeks (!), the IAAF World Championships (track&field) are being held in Daegu next week, and I still have another and even longer paid vacation in the winter.

Being away for the longest time I have ever experienced, I'm appreciating the comforts of home so much more.  Dryers, In 'n Out, Mexican food, Wanda (my car), fluffy pillows, orchards, the mint and chocolate combo, easy communication, Target, oh I could go on and on.  But the most important aspect of home that I appreciate so much more is you. Each and every one of you have done phenomenal at making me feel loved and missed while simultaneously drowning me in much needed encouragement.  Thank you for helping me, and know that it is much appreciated and will be even more so in the 6 months to come.

I'm excited for the next 6 months.  The hills, flat stretches, and obstacles will be familiar, but I will face them from a new perspective.  However, at the end of the run, I will be ready.  It will have been an amazing, life-altering run, but I will be glad to rest and relax.

Each time I set out for a run, it's a challenge. I'm not in perfect athletic form.  I pant; I struggle; I sweat.  But with each labored breath and each tiresome step, I'm also joyful.  I'm joyful for the able body God has provided me with.  I'm joyful for the beautiful scenery surrounding me. I'm joyful for the opportunity to be on this adventure; to feel alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment