While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A weekend away - Kyrios Conference

Sometimes it's just so refreshing to get away.  Even if there's nothing specific you need to get away from - you just need to get away.  Living in a city consisting majorly of concrete buildings and sidewalks, the country girl in me is always craving to get away from the concrete and hustle of the city be surrounded by nature.  This past weekend provided just that.

Throughout the majority of my time here, I've been attending an English church service at Dongshin Presbyterian.  It's connected with the main Korean church, but our service is held entirely in English and is attended by foreigners and Koreans alike.  They hold an annual conference at a retreat center outside of Daegu for a weekend and I decided to go.  While before I left I was kinda wishing for a relaxing weekend at home, I'm so glad I went.


It was a time of introspection and worship, laughter and meeting tons of new people, beautiful weather at a small retreat center surrounded by nature out in the country, and even s'mores around a bonfire.  [Apparently Americans are the only ones who do this - I taught my friend Melissa from South Africa how to make a s'more!]


I really feel like God used this weekend to recenter me. So often I [we] get complacent with our faith, our work, and our thoughts instead of moving forward.  I read this a few weeks ago and while it convicted me, just pushed it aside - but it is so true: Static faith leads to a stagnant life. If we allow our faith to become static....it envelops our lives.  It also works the other way: A stagnant life leads to static faith. After thinking about this this week, I really believe it.  We need to keep challenging ourselves in our faith, in our actions, and in our lives in general.


This quote sums it up:
"I want to keep walking away from the person I was a moment ago, because a mind was made to figure things out, not to read the same page recurrently." - Donald Miller.


only about 1/2 of the people who attended the conference!
gooooood morning!
Our speaker who came all the way from La Jolla, CA to speak!
gorgeous countryside


on the retreat grounds - those poor chicks got dropped so many times...
everyone was afraid of the donkeys!

they just needed a real country girl to show them the ropes. :]


No comments:

Post a Comment