While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas Cheer in South Korea (&75 days left!)

Gingerbread cookies. Twinkle lights. Peppermint bark. Christmas Tree Lane. Peppermint Mochas. Amy Grant Christmas Album. Baking. Shopping trips. Frosty mornings. Lying on my back with my feet up by the fireplace. Advent calendars. Gourmet mashed potatoes. Wrapping presents in my parents room on the floor while watching Hallmark Christmas movies. Candlelight Christmas Eve services. Giving gifts. Santa filling my stocking!! Special shopping trip for my mom's gifts with my dad. Christmas Eve at Sarah and Jareb's. Potato soup. Christmas music played everywhere. Salvation Army bell ringers. Mint M&Ms. Searching for the hidden pickle ornament. Family gatherings. Laughter.
I could go on and on.  This is basically Christmas in a nutshell to me. I love Christmas.  As long as it's after Thanksgiving, I'm all for it.

Knowing how much Christmas means to me, I knew it would be difficult to be away from home and family during the holidays.  Initially I had the view of "I'll just get through it and think about Christmas as minimally as possible."  However, I decided that this was ridiculous and while I'll miss family and traditional American Christmas customs, I'm going to embrace this unique Christmas. So I bought a mini tree, a few decorations, cards to send to a few people, and even found a chocolate advent calendar.

















Then, I got the best Christmas package in the mail form my parents. Look at my mom's amazing and wonderfully creative Christmas tree! Each ornament has a picture of a family member on it - Even if I can't be with them in person, I now have them all here with me during the holidays! (even Oscar!)

Mom's Creative Tree!





This past weekend (and also 2 weekends ago with my friend Amy), by the gracious generosity of my father,  I was able to go up to Seoul with Holly and stay in the beautiful Hilton hotel.  Seoul was decked out in Christmas decorations and light displays, not to mention the gorgeous and extravagant Christmas tree and decorations in the Hilton!  We had a wonderful time of shopping, enjoying the chilly weather, Christmas decorations, and soaking up the overall luxury of the hotel!


The lobby of the Millennium Hilton. 
Gingerbread house also in the lobby!
KOREAN SANTA! 

Never thought I would say "Kamsahamnida Santa!" (Thank you Santa!"

They know what's up. (Hilton Lobby)
Santas around the world!




All around the base of the tree.



When we were out shopping, we thought we heard a holiday parade coming!! But, nope, just a protest against the FTA with the US. My first protest sighting! I think I was more excited about the protest and the ridiculous amount of police than the Christmas lights.
The protest!
Big dept store decorations.




beautiful 





Warming up with a blueberry/apple crumble.

Being away for Christmas is tough.  I'm not going to lie.  I had a mini breakdown last week when I thought about what I'm missing. But you know what? It's made me realize 2 things.

1. How much my focus of Christmas has moved away from Christ.  By not being as suffocatingly submerged in the superficial aspects of America's Christmas, I'm able to regain sight on why it is even a holiday.  I'm being reminded that not only are we celebrating the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, but so much more.  I don't know about you, but when I celebrate my birthday, I like to think we're celebrating not only my actual birth but my life and what I've done with it.  In the same thought, my goal this year is to not only celebrate the birth of Christ but His life. How God used Him to change the world both during his time here and through His death and Resurrection. That is my desire for this Christmas.

2. People are what make Christmas special.  Yes, I miss the gingerbread cookies, the big Christmas tree, and everything else I listed at the beginning, but the more I think about those things, the more I see that they are tied to memories of people I care deeply about.  I consider it such a blessing to have so many people to miss during the holidays. And also along those lines, I'm going to enjoy the people surrounding me at this unique time in my life.  Because next year (actually in just a few months!), they will be the ones I will be missing.

So know you are missed this Christmas season and take time to not only remember why we have the holiday, but make it a real reason for celebrating.

Christmas - that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance.  It may weave a spell of nostalgia.  Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance - a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved.  -Augusta E. Rundel

by the way, 75 more days. Where has time gone?! Can. Not. Wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment