While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gaining speed...but this is the good life.

Two summers ago while working at Kidder Creek, my students convinced me it would be a fun idea to roll like a log down a grassy hill onto the soccer field.  Now, knowing my body's reactions to anything motion related, I was reluctant. However, I knew the fun had while doing it would be worth the dizziness and potential revisit of that night's dinner.

So I started rolling.

I feel like I've pushed myself off the proverbial grass ledge in the last couple weeks and have convinced myself to truly enjoy the last 3 months of my year long adventure in Korea.  It's worth the potential exhaustion and discomfort that could be present at the end.

With the grass and sky blending together, I gained speed.


Once you start rolling, it's inevitable that gravity will pull you faster.  My weekends are filling up with possibilities of adventures, trips, and wonderful memories to be made.  I've been busy the last few weekends, have winter vacation to The Philippines booked for January, still working full time, etc.  But that's part of the fun.  At camp, I knew while rolling that at any time I could swing my legs around and stop.  I was still in as much control as God is ever going to give me.  But what's the fun in life if you never let go and enjoy the ride? Gravity is going to pull things faster whether you like it or not - attempting to put an abrupt halt will only hinder your life.  I'd rather embrace it, laugh along with it, and keep rolling.  Here are a few things that I have been experiencing these last few weeks as things pick up speed.
Cat&Dog Cafe - just play with a kitty!

Cat&Dog Cafe (play with dogs! random!)


Dinner at Vivian's (owner of Ann&Andy's) house...her super cute niece, daughter, and daughter's friend.
Vivian and I and some of the children.
Thanksgiving Dinner at Church
Holiday Decorations at the Hilton in Seoul!
As I rolled, I angled a bit.


Sometimes life doesn't take you exactly where you expect.  As life is flying by, you realize, "wait a second, this isn't what I had set out to do."  Unless it is on a negative path, don't put the brakes on right away.  Let life take you.  I never thought I would end up in South Korea.  And even for these next couple of months, I never imagined I would be going to the Philippines, stopping in Hawaii on the way home, or any other little random adventure I will have before I finish this experience.

Finally, at the bottom, I was dizzy, spent, and discombobulated. 

While I'll be overjoyed to have Mexican food, see family and friends, and hug my cat (notice my priorities here) when I get back to the states, I have no doubt that I will be all of the above.  My grand adventure will be over (for now) and I will be exhausted, not really sure where the time went or if I really lived in South Korea for a whole year, confused of my future and my place in life with this changed outlook on the world, etc.  Time will be needed to regain my footing...but it will be restored.

But it was so worth it.

The joy that comes with having an adventure, feeling like a child, laughing until your sides hurt, experiencing something new, something out of your control. THAT is what life is all about.  The next few months are going to be a combination of phenomenal and difficult.  of struggles and joys. of laughter and tears.  I will have to say goodbye to friends who have been a surrogate family for me for a year but will be reunited with those I love back home.  I will have adventures in different countries and soak in the experiences. I will be free from teaching but will have to say goodbye to the students I have grown to love so much.

So these last few months, I will try to keep you in the loop, but remember, gravity is pulling me faster as I roll towards the end of my time here.  Days are flying by and I'm trying to fit as much amazingness as possible into these few days.  You may have to meet me at the bottom of the hill.  And I'll be the first to admit, I will most likely need help regaining my footing and place.

Just know that I'm having the time of my life.

One of my favorite songs right now is Good Life by OneRepublic. It's just so true. (plus I've been all those places they say in the last few years - so it really is my life!)



 (I like to have a lil theme song in my life - and this is mine currently)

No comments:

Post a Comment