While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

There's no place like home

Home, sweet, home. 

As I type this, I'm curled up in my dad's big recliner watching the rain sprinkling outside in the orchard and have a big mug of coffee and homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies within reach. It's good to be home. 

The past few weeks have been filled with conflicting feelings, packing and unpacking, goodbyes and hellos, and just so much change it's overwhelming. But in such a good way.  It's one of those "this is exactly what's supposed to happen" times in life.  

Leaving Korea was much harder than I expected.  My last few days were spent wrapping up the life I had built - friendships, bank accounts, students, apartment - they all had to be closed. I was able to see most people one last time and say goodbye [boy do I hate the sound of those!].  I'm going to miss the students, the every day adventures, the teachers I got to know, the neighborhood, the city itself, my friends, I could go on and on.  The thing I keep going back to is how fortunate I was to have the opportunity to have this adventure.  To learn about myself, the world, and God's creation while hopefully making a difference in a few student's lives.  I'm one lucky duck.

Here are a few pictures from my last few days in Daegu.
Mr. Lee (harmonica playing teacher!) and I  

 these girls are SO funny.
one of my winter classes 

 :)


last walk around downtown Daegu 

 my normal way of transport

rice cake with red bean paste - one last time... 

 tteokbokki special! yum!
 last night downtown Daegu
 cell phone street downtown
 that's all seaweed (and a super cute child!!)
 last meal in Korea - Dolsot Bibimbap, of course!
all packed up and ready to go... 


hahaha the bus ride up to Incheon Airport (4 hrs) had no one on it but me and the bus driver until we stopped 1 hr into it....even people at the Daegu bus station were laughing as we left! 
Parting gift from my landlord - delicious aloe drink!

Speaking of being blessed, I didn't come straight back to California from Korea.  I had found flights that allowed me to have a 1 week layover in Hawaii, where I spent the time with a dear friend from university.  Don't worry, I'll do a post about that week complete with pictures and accounts of culture shock next. :)


 “No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” – Lin Yutang

No comments:

Post a Comment