While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Week-long Hawaiian Layover.

Obviously this post is way overdue. As in almost a month overdue. Whoops. Anyway, since you've traveled so far with me already, you deserve to hear of my adventure back across the pond.  

What place is conveniently on the way from South Korea to California and is home to one of my favorite roommates from Point Loma? Hawaii, of course! I found flights that allowed me to do an extended layover/last-mini-vaca in Hawaii before returning to California for the same price as flying straight to Cali. A sign I should go? of course.

After a 8 hr, uneventful flight that included lots of sleeping due to Dramamine (my traveling best friend), I arrived in Honolulu, HI at about noon.  An encounter with a very rude customs official (welcome back to the US, Rachel), a cart load of luggage, and a few minutes of sweating in HI heat in my Ugg boots later, the friend I was visiting, Megan DeBoard, picked me up from the airport.  Man, was she a sight for tired, culture shocked, and slightly Dramamined eyes.  She greeted me with a hug, cup of delicious coffee, wonderful smelling plumeria lei, and cute flip flops to change into. Amazing.
Fresh off the plane - first few steps in America!
First meal - avocado burger, french fries, and a root beer. Just seeing the food made me ridiculously happy and lets not even mention how excited I was to order in English.
Over the course of the week, Megan and I had such a wonderful time.  It was refreshing to see a familiar face, catch up about life (I hadn't seen her since graduation almost 2 years ago from Loma), laugh until we cried, go on adventures, and sing constantly.  She's a music teacher, involved in music theater and has an incredible voice so that last one was normal for her - I just jumped on the bandwagon.
just some gorgeous scenery driving around Oahu.
Okay, so I met Megan initially because we were on the same team that went on a mission trip to New Zealand in 2007.  Another one of the former teammates, Will Campbell, lives in the same area as Megan (Kailua or somewhere near that) so we met up with him one of the days and had lunch with him - so, SO good to see old friends and just relax!
This is Megan's 22lb cat, Caspian. 
I don't really think other explanation is needed.
He must've known I was laughing at him.
Much more content (but still HUGE) in Megan's arms.
tiny beach near Lanikai Beach
Okay, random, amazing coincidence story:  My aunt and uncle who live in Portland, OR come to Hawaii ever few years to help put on a doctor's conference thing.  They happened to have it the week before I got there and were relaxing the week I was in Hawaii and they happened to be on Oahu for the first time in like 20 years and they happened  to be staying at a place 15 minutes from Megan's place!  I hadn't seen them in 6 years because every time they come down to Hughson to visit, I'm always off gallivanting around.  Needless to say, we made a point to meet up in Hawaii and I was able to spend almost 2 full days with them while Megan was at work!
No, I don't know this couple, but it was just so gorgeous to see them in that setting!
Kailua Beach
Culture shock hit me pretty hard at random times in Hawaii, and this candy aisle in Longs was definitely an instigator.  I mean, how can you blame me - look at all that wonderful candy at my fingertips that was virtually inaccessible for a year!
watching kite surfers at Kailua Beach
One of the days Megan took me on a drive up to the North Shore where we had Matsumoto Shaved Ice - SO delicious! 
That Friday while Megan was working, I went with my aunt and uncle to Pearl Harbor.  We were able to tour the USS Missouri - Mighty Mo - which is the last battleship built by the US, used in many big battles, and was where the surrender of Japan took place to mark the end of WWII.

It always amazes me to actually be on a navy ship; Their might, intricacies, and purpose is evident in all aspects.
Luckily, we were also able to get tickets to take the ferry out to the USS Arizona Memorial.  It is was overwhelming and sobering to actually be at the site of the Pearl Harbor attacks and see the names of all that were forced to give up their life that day.
USS Arizona Memorial

On a lighter note, Megan offered to watch her neighbors house - which included 4 chickens, a turtle, and some fish.  It became a source of entertainment and hilarity. 
Farmer Megan - obviously excited about the job at hand.
Many laughs later, we got those eggs gathered and chickens fed.  Let's just say if I had any sort of inclination towards wanting chickens, they are gone now.
With time to just soak in the sun and relax, we got some delicious shaved ice and just sat on Lanikai Beach - people watching, talking, and just enjoying the gorgeous view.
Megan's parents' house - such a gorgeous neighborhood...I wanted to move in.
Last meal in Hawaii - the best crepes and coffee ever.

As expected Hawaii was wonderful.

However, not only was the scenery stunning, food delicious, and just was laid back, but it was so much more to me.

It was a chance to catch my breath, deal with initial culture shock of English-speaking-overload, let go of my time in Korea, and prepare myself mentally to return home.

Even more wonderful to me was the opportunity to spend that time with a great friend.  I really consider Megan to be a rare kind of friend.   The kind where you don't see them for a few years and yet you pick up exactly where you are. Not where you left off, but we both realized we've both changed, grown, and molded since our last encounter and desired to learn about these new aspects of each other.  She's the friend that I can laugh my head off, have a deep conversation, go shopping and be amazed by memory foam bath mats, and then watch Veronica Mars while playing Temple Run with. All in the same evening. 

Yep, I appreciate her and any friend like that. 

Hawaii was much needed and much appreciated on this journey back to "normalcy" in the US.
 [especially their chocolate covered macadamia nuts.]

No comments:

Post a Comment