While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Home is people, not a place.

"It is good to feel lost... because it proves you have a navigational sense of where "Home" is. You know that a place that feels like being found exists. And maybe your current location isn't that place but, Hallelujah, that unsettled, uneasy feeling of lost-ness just brought you closer to it."
 Someone posted this on their facebook today, and I definitely appreciate it.  I'm in such a transition time in my life, and the longer I'm in this time, the more unsettling I seem to find it.  I want everything to fall perfectly into place, to know where I'm going with my life, and to have a plan.  I want to know where I should move, who I should pursue staying close friends with, and what I should do about grad school or job or travel.  I want to know now.  However, maybe it's good that I'm feeling this.  Maybe I need this to realize that I'm blessed to have felt the feeling of "being found."  I know what it feels like to belong somewhere completely, and I know I will find that again.  If I let Him, God will lead me to the place of "being home" again, whether that is in South Korea, Hughson, San Diego, or some other uncharted [by me] state or country.

Something else I was thinking about today was the idea that in my current age and position in life right now, home may not be a certain place, but can be with certain people.  I just was on an amazing road trip to a wedding of two people I worked with this past summer at Kidder Creek.  There were about 25 of us Kidder folk at the wedding, and I was reminded of how at home I feel with them.  I know that I can be myself with them and they will be there to pray for me, laugh with me (and at me when applicable), express my concerns, and share in my joys and sorrows.  They feel like home. 
And then there are my old roommates from last year at Point Loma who are still living in San Diego.  Visiting them makes me feel at home again too. They know every side of me and still make me feel valued and loved.  They feel like home.
And then there's my family and physical home in Hughson.  They are the traditional feel of home that cannot be replaced. It is the town that I began to realize who I was, my goals in life, and the base of my faith, morals, and love of living in the country.  My family (both immediate and extended) are phenomenal. They feel like home.
I guess I need to take this step back and realize how lucky I really am to have all of these places/people to feel at home and found with.  My family jokes that I fall in love with the place and people wherever I go.  Maybe I need to let God do His thing and realize that I will adapt and love wherever I am, because He will provide me with the people if I let him.

No comments:

Post a Comment