I love how God works. Not that I understand it or will even claim to vaguely get it. But it keeps me on my toes to say the least. I'll explain.
So I'd been trying for the past two days to get a hold of my recruiter to see where my status was for the teaching position in South Korea and I received an email from her last night saying she had been out of the office since Christmas, etc. and is trying to contact the EPIK (English Program in Korea, the program I'm going through) to see mine and many others' statuses. I still had no idea when I would actually hear substantial news back from her.
Then this morning, I saw the quote "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." by Carrie Ten Boom and for the first time in quite awhile, felt at peace about my future for the next year. I've been so stressed and unsettled about the lack of knowing I've experienced and I love that when I give it over to God and fully commit my nervousness to Him, He takes care of it.
About an hour after I had fully given it to God and even shared with my mom the quote, my phone rang. And yes, it was my recruiter. She was calling to tell me that EPIK is offering me a position in the city of Daegu in South Korea. ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Let's just say I was (and still am) what I like to call a stir fry of emotions (more about that in a bit). Daegu is towards the south in South Korea and is a fairly large city. Lauren, my recruiter, said that it is the most historically dense areas of SKorea and is full of natural beauty, culture, and wonderful people as well as having a medium size population of foreigners. Sounds so ideal.
It's less than an hour from the city I thought I wanted to be in, Busan, which makes it easy to go visit Japan and head to the beach. Here's a map so you can have a visual of where it is in South Korea, as opposed to me trying to describe it.
I'm ecstatic, relieved I have a position and a plan, stressed again instantly about planning to leave, very very torn and sad about leaving family and friends...especially my new little nephew Josiah, excited for an adventure and experience of a lifetime, and scared to be gone for a year.
1 year. that's 12 months. or 52 weeks. or 365 days. or 8,765.8 hours.
That's a lot of time to be gone. I know it hasn't set in yet, and I also know that a year will go by fast once I'm over there, but it's still a huge deal to me. Family is so important, and I'm so used to seeing everyone every holiday. However, I guess one year isn't bad when you think about how many people don't see family for a year just within the US. So many people will get married while I'm gone. So many lives and perspectives will change, as I'm sure mine will too.



No comments:
Post a Comment