I was finally able to have a historically cultural experience on Saturday, which was amazing. Some of my friends were out of town that weekend, but I really wanted to explore and had heard of a group going to see a temple. Deciding "why not?", I joined them and met the group at the early Saturday morning hour of 8:30. After long waits for everyone to get to the station and buy tickets, we headed off for Haeinsa Temple which is about an hour and a half of a bus ride away. Apparently buses are supposed to be very quiet as we ramble along the countryside. However, when you have 14 foreigners (mostly American) in one bus, it's hard to keep quiet, and we were very sternly "sshhh"ed by some old Koreans. We tried to be quiet, I promise.
Anyways, after a mostly uneventful busride (minus the need to be quiet and the very windy road at the end and we all know how much I love windy bus rides), we got to the temple!
Here's a little blurb about Haeinsa Temple:
Located deep in the mountains of Hapcheon County in southeast Korea — emphasis on the word deep — Haeinsa Temple is one of Korea’s three largest Buddhist monasteries, one of the “Three Jewels,” as Korean Buddhists prefer to call them. A UNSECO World Heritage Site, the compound is home to the Tripitaka Koreana — the Palman Daejanggyeong in Korean — a 13th century collection of woodblock carvings of the Buddhist scriptures and the oldest and most complete edition of the Buddhist canon in Chinese characters. For centuries, the monastery has been the scholastic center of Korean Buddhism, preserving the traditional of scriptural studies through the generations.
We had a great day of wandering around the temple, marveling at the architecture and painted designs, and learning about Buddhism.
![]() |
| on the walk to the temple |
| meditation maze or something...to prepare someone before going into a temple |
| thirsty? |
| the boys checking out a meditation room |
| gorgeous landscape! |
![]() |
| part of the group |
| bibimbap! |
Haeinsa Temple was a great place to visit and I'm so glad I was able to go! It was a great way to spend a Saturday and get out of the city.
Other exciting news is that I received an amazing package from my parents yesterday!! take a look! I'm such a grateful/lucky daughter! :]
Also, the cherry blossoms are coming into full bloom and they're everywhere here - reminds me of the almond blossoms at home! Tomorrow, Saturday, we're hopefully going to make it to the Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival...I'll let you know how that goes!










No comments:
Post a Comment