While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Monday, April 25, 2011

not your typical Monday morning.

I think I can speak for most people when I say that Monday mornings are generally not anticipated with joy and excitement.  However, last night (Sunday night) I had a wonderful night of sleep but felt like a child on the night before Christmas - I kept waking up and my first thought was "I'm so excited for the morning!" Simultaneously, it was that nervous waking up, like in college before a big exam when you're afraid you're going to sleep through your alarm.  However, I was awake and moving in plenty of time for the excitement.  I got dressed and ready in record time (why can't I get ready that fast on a normal morning?) and sat down for some fun.

What was the excitement you wonder? well, I was hoping to skype (video chat) with the Milhous side of the family - or at the very least, call my grandparents' house and have the phone be passed around. 

You see, my family is very close.  We've gotten together for every holiday since I can remember.  Easter, Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, Father's Day... you name it, we're together.  Especially when we were younger and schedules weren't so varied, we'd get together for birthdays, helping work on houses, etc.  There are 9 of us grandchildren all quite close in age and I can genuinely say that they're more than cousins to me, they're some of my greatest friends.  I love family get togethers.  There's the delicious food, the sarcasm, the varied personalities and quirks we all bring,  our never ending list of traditions, and best of all, the love and support that fills the house (usually masked by jokes). I am so blessed to have them as my family.

All that to say, I am always bummed when missing a holiday at my grandparents' house and this Easter was no exception.  We are all spread out these days and Easter demonstrated that - only 5 of the 9 grandchildren could make it. However, technology is a lifesaver.
I was able to Skype with the family at 7am Monday morning my time, which is 3pm Sunday in California.  To say it was fun would be a horrible understatement.  I was able to see each of their faces, talk to them a bit, and the best part was just laughing with them.  We were able to group video chat with my cousin Justin who is based in Texas (my uncle Rusty was visiting him so he was with Justin too) and then we added Dan who was in Los Angeles at the time with his girlfriend, Katie. So Turlock, Los Angeles, Texas, and South Korea were all able to talk/see each other simultaneously on Easter via Skype. Amazing.  It was hilarious (and yet so wonderful) to have the camera zoomed around to each of their faces - picture about 15 people standing around a laptop - and to hear/participate in their loving banter.  I even impressed them (someone clapped!) that I have been rationing the Junior Mints my mom sent me. (only 3 a day - and you know how I am about those!!)

Basically, it was a fantastic way to end my weekend while simultaneously beginning my week.  Seeing all of them (minus my sis and her family, but I talked to them on Saturday!) made me long for home and sad that I missed the Easter family celebration (including jello eggs, pretzel jello, and potato salad) but so genuinely joyful for them in general.

so family, if you're reading this, you're the best. :]

Here's what my screen looked like at one point...and this was before we added Dan! so fun.


Thank you computer nerds for inventing Skype.
you make being away from home bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment