Folks, the time is coming.
For those of you that have missed my smiling face, sarcastic remarks, and ridiculous actions without being limited to witnessing them via technology, be joyful, for
100 days from today, I will be leaving South Korea for American soil.
Today, I'm about 25% sad to leave and 75% counting down/could jump on a plane tonight and be happy. This may be skewed by the fact that I'm currently not very happy with my school and their delegation of my vacation days.
However, all that to say:
I'm comin' home.
Many of you are wondering what I will do when I return home. The short answer (and the one that doesn't get my hopes up uncontrollably) is: I don't know. Initially, I will live with my parents in Hughson, CA, hopefully find a job in the area and Lord willing, begin graduate school (hopefully Sacramento State) to obtain my master's degree in school psychology in the fall. That's the plan. However, as I'm reminded daily...my plans are not always the same as God's, so we'll see what He decides!
Okay, I can't hold it in any more... I must share - I am the proud aunt to my first niece!!
Little
Aubrey Mikayla Collins was born to my sister Sarah and her husband Jareb on November 11, 2011 (yes! 11/11/11!!) at 1:19pm weighing in at 8lbs, 9oz. and 20in. She is absolutely beautiful and I'm so excited for their (and our) family. Sarah and Jareb are already wonderful parents to their boys Joshua and Josiah and I'm so happy for this cute little (and female! haha) addition to their family. I can only hope and pray to someday have as beautiful and wonderful family as they have established.
 |
| Josiah making Grandpa proud with the farm newspaper already! |
 |
| Aubrey Mikayla Collins |
 |
| Can you feel the joy? because I can. |
What can I tell you about my life that can top the birth of a new baby?! nothing. As usual, I've been staying busy mostly in an attempt not to miss home
too much while everything is happening.
A few funny happenings/sayings/stories as of late:
- When talking to an English teacher about me leaving for home in February, she says, "Rachel, your face is now smaller than before. I think it is much better. You should stay in Korea another year." She literally said this all in one breath. I had no idea how to respond as she basically told me not to go back to America and gain weight back hahaha.
- At the gym, a woman must've decided she likes my workouts, as she tried to discreetly follow me around the gym and do the same exercises right after me. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, so I tried doing a weird exercise...and low and behold, she did it right after me! ha!
- About 10 students in "elderly outfits" were stumbling up the stairs at school as part of a program to see what it's like to be elderly and gain more respect for them - they were complete with back, knee, and elbow braces, canes and goggles that messed up their vision. As I was laughing at them and asking them how it is to be old, one of my students said emphatically, "Teacher! this so hard! I never want be old!"
Here are a few pictures from my most recent adventures: DMOE Cultural trip to Gyeongju with other native teachers and a steep hike to Gatbawi, an old, huge buddha dating from the Silla dynasty that is at the top of Palgongsan Mountain
 |
| she was so sweet! |
 |
| Teaching about traditional Tea Ceremony |
 |
| Bulguksa Temple |
 |
| Anapji Pond and my wish lantern |
We got traditional kites that we wrote our wishes on and then were able to fly them. There was
no wind, so we had to just run around - I had so much fun!
 |
| representing the USA, Canada, and South Africa |
 |
| hahahaha - cute children in the Tomb Park |
 |
| Holly and I in front of Gatbawi |
 |
| view from the top of Mt Palgnongsan by Gatbawi |
 |
| the end of the gorgeous fall colors |
Yay Sac State! You'd be so close! :)
ReplyDelete