While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Squatting, Spit, Squid and Smells: The 4 Ss of Korea.

When thinking of what I still need to give you enlightenment about in Korea, these four S words came into my mind: Squatting, Spit, Squid, and Smells. Yes, none of those seem particularly fun or exciting, but they are definitely an interesting and different part of Korean culture that you won't be finding in America!

Squatting.
I have a challenge for you. First, stand up.  I know that means getting out of your computer chair, off of your bed, or up from the couch, but just try it.  Now that you're up, try to squat all the way down but keep your feet flat on the floor.  Do not go up on your toes and then balance.  It's difficult, right? However, here in Korea, everyone can do the flat footed squat easy-peasy. Koreans love to squat. I'm not joking. Young and old alike, they can squat - even just to talk.  I've walked past groups of older Koreans (like in their 70s I'm sure) squatting and just talking.  If I were them, I'd just sit on the curb/bench/ledge like 5 feet away.  But no, apparently the squat is comfortable to them.  I think it's because they learn to squat basically as soon as they can walk so their bodies just adjust to that position.  Personally, it makes my knees and hips hurt just looking at them.

notice the empty chairs behind them...
Besides the squat that happens out in public, there is the inevitable squatter toilet that is dreaded by every foreigner in Korea.  I'll spare you the details, but let's just say I have a new appreciation for western style toilets.  My school only has one western style toilet, and I walk out of my way (and sometimes from another building) just so I can use it. Because I'm sure you're curious - here's a photo of a Korean squatter toilet! (I didn't take it, just found it on google)


While we're on the subject of public toilets, I should tell you about the toilet paper issue.  Or I guess I should say the lack of toilet paper issue.  Many public toilets do not have toilet paper in each stall. There is often a common roll in the middle of the bathroom so you must grab some before you go into the stall.  However, many times there is no toilet paper at all provided. At my school, even though there are toilet paper holders in each stall, you must bring your own toilet paper every time you use the restroom.  I don't really understand it and it's really inconvenient/awkward to be carrying toilet paper to the bathroom all the time.  Basically, it's a dream come true to find a public bathroom with western style toilets and toilet paper in the stalls.

Enough toilet talk. Let's move on to spitting. (this isn't the most hygienic of blog posts, I'm sorry)

Spit.


If you enjoy hocking a loogie and wish it was socially acceptable to make the horrible noises that accompany that disgusting habit, you should move to Korea.  I'm serious.  Spitting is a normal occurrence here and people don't bat an eye.  Well the Koreans don't bat an eye.  Most of the foreigners cringe, try not to look, but also make sure you won't step in it.  It doesn't matter where you spit either.  Have some flem while on the subway and there's no one standing next to you? spit it out. On a busy street where lots and lots of people are walking but just have that spit that you must pull from the depths of your body? no worries, make all the noises you need and then spit it where people will walk. Can you tell this thing grosses me out?

I'll spare you pictures of this topic and get to our next S, squid.

Squid.

Before I came to Korea, I thought I liked seafood.  I now realize I do not like seafood but only salmon, trout, halibut, and clam chowder. Unfortunately, seafood is a main staple in the South Korean diet.  One of the most common and simultaneously most revolting to me is squid.  I'm not talking deep fried calamari or deliciousness like that.  I'm talking tentacles where you can see the suction cups and it feels like you are chewing rubber. Also, squid and octopus are not the same, for your information.  As my students say, "squid, friends of octopus" Squid are longer with a bigger body - not that you really care. Some people really like it which is lucky for them.  As for me, my prayer everyday before lunch is "Lord, please let the lunch be squid free today. Amen" I'm not joking.


This is steamed squid which we do not have at school, but I can't find a picture of what we normally have at school...just picture those tentacles mixed in with spicy sauce and random veggies.

They also love a good dried squid as a snack - and boy, does it smell awful!


Smells.

To round out this post, lets talk about the unique smells of Korea. Walking around the cities, you will get whiffs of all sorts of smells ranging from freshly popped rice cake things to sewer.  Word on the street among foreigners is that you smell the sewage smell more in Daegu than other cities. Bleh. There are drains and metal grates all over the streets and while most of them have been covered by the local residents with thick rubber or other creative objects, the scent still escapes.  On hot, humid summer days when it seemed to be the worst, I noticed myself holding my breath when directly stepping over the grate - unconscious self preservation!  There is one smell on my walk home from work that had been driving me insane.  It was one of those smells that you recognize but you can't figure out what it smells like. However, rest your sympathy for me, because I realized what the smell is: Hot 'n Spicy Cheezits.  I don't even know the last time that I had those, and I have no idea what this person is making in her little shop to smell like them, but it's the same smell.  Anyway, that was to counteract the way I was emphasizing that Korea smells like sewage.


I realize if you just read my post on surface value, it seems like I am picking out the negative aspects of South Korea and you might possibly come to the conclusion that South Korea must be dirty, smelly, and filled with spit and squid.  Although some of that is true, I'm sure a foreigner visiting the United States would be able to write about weird and dirty things we do and eat that we consider quite normal.

Every day I'm reminded that life is about perspective.  It sounds simple but it's so true.  Someone who grew up in a different country, state, city, and house is going to have a slightly different perspective on life than your own.  I think it's important for us to remember that our job is not to change other's perspectives so that they are the same as our own, but to learn about them, appreciate the similarities and differences, and broaden our horizons.

1 comment:

  1. I LIKE SQUID! :) Great post, Rachel. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete