a year ago:
- I still didn't know if I would be going to Korea even though I would leave in February
- I couldn't say anything in Korean.
- I had a 3 month old nephew.
- I had never been to Asia, let alone know much about the vast cultures within.
- I didn't even know what kimchi was
- I hadn't been out of university a whole year yet
- I didn't even know what kimchi was
- I hadn't been out of university a whole year yet
2011 brought more adventures, joys, and challenges than I ever imagined possible. I said goodbye to friends and family and moved to South Korea for a year. With limited prior teaching experience, I taught conversational English to high school girls with up to 40 girls in each classroom. I walked on the Great Wall of China, tried whole, mini octopus and fish intestine, made friends from around the world, rode on the back of scooters in Shanghai, and have overall felt the most wonderfully uncomfortable in my entire life. This year has been a grand adventure, but not without strife: I missed 6+ weddings, the birth of my first niece, and had a few close friends of the family pass away. While there have definitely been ups and downs, 2011 was a year that has changed my life forever by the experiences had and the friendships made.
To end this amazing year, I went out to dinner and drinks with some close friends. We rang in the new year at midnight in a park near downtown where they rang a traditional Korean bell at midnight and sent off fireworks. It was a unique, fun, and wonderful New Year's Eve for a unique, fun, and wonderful year.
However unforgettable and impacting 2011 was, I have no doubt that God will use 2012 in different, but just as incredible ways. There are so many unknowns in my life for 2012. Will I get into grad school? How do I find roommates in a city where I don't know many people if I do get into school? If I don't get into school, how in the world do I find a job in this economy? And how do I find a job that will help me pursue my dreams and goals and not just be a time and wallet filler? How do I keep an adventurous spirit when I'm back to "normal" life? These are just a few of my numerous questions for my future. It's easy to get caught up in those unanswered questions; To stress, attempt to cover all bases, to figure it out all on my own.
God doesn't want us to do things alone. That doesn't mean we can roll over and play dead. We can't go "Okay God, work your magic." It takes trust and reliance to follow where He guides us. I look back at how He has woven my life together thus far; Revealing to me how to pursue my passions, goals, friendships, etc. I am positive He won't stop weaving. 2012 is a year to allow Him to keep orchestrating my life.
Sometimes I think we (I) put too much emphasis on independence. We like that word - independence. There's something liberating about it. It produces pride, confidence, and inspiration. I like to think that I've become an independent woman. I take pride that I don't need someone to hold my hand through every experience. However, I need to constantly remind myself that it's okay, no, it's necessary to allow myself to openly be (an appropriate amount) dependent on family, close friends, and most importantly, God.
For 2012, I desire to learn how to be fully dependent on God. I can't wait to see what He does with this year.
To end this amazing year, I went out to dinner and drinks with some close friends. We rang in the new year at midnight in a park near downtown where they rang a traditional Korean bell at midnight and sent off fireworks. It was a unique, fun, and wonderful New Year's Eve for a unique, fun, and wonderful year.
| My favorite meal at my favorite restaurant here! |
| In the park waiting for midnight! so many people! |
| the group! |
| Happy New Year!! |
God doesn't want us to do things alone. That doesn't mean we can roll over and play dead. We can't go "Okay God, work your magic." It takes trust and reliance to follow where He guides us. I look back at how He has woven my life together thus far; Revealing to me how to pursue my passions, goals, friendships, etc. I am positive He won't stop weaving. 2012 is a year to allow Him to keep orchestrating my life.
Sometimes I think we (I) put too much emphasis on independence. We like that word - independence. There's something liberating about it. It produces pride, confidence, and inspiration. I like to think that I've become an independent woman. I take pride that I don't need someone to hold my hand through every experience. However, I need to constantly remind myself that it's okay, no, it's necessary to allow myself to openly be (an appropriate amount) dependent on family, close friends, and most importantly, God.
For 2012, I desire to learn how to be fully dependent on God. I can't wait to see what He does with this year.


No comments:
Post a Comment