While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Warm Fuzzy Feelings

I may have mentioned this previously, but I have a tendency to fall in love…with places.  I love my little town of Hughson and surrounding areas, and when I left for San Diego for university, I fell in love with that beachy, unique city. Next came New Zealand with it’s stunning landscape, followed by Ireland, where a part of my heart will always lie, and is rounded out by the wilderness of Siskyou County, California.  In each place, it’s usually an instant love and I’m calling home saying “Mom and Dad, this place is amazing!!”

When I came to South Korea, I didn’t feel that instant “location love” as I had come to expect. It was all new, different, and unexpected, but I didn’t instantly love it.  As the weeks have turned to months, my perspective has changed.  While I don’t profess the same sort of affection for Korea as I do for, well, Ireland or whatnot, I have realized just how many aspects of this unique country and culture I have come to love.

In my last post, I shared what I’m going to appreciate so much more when I am back in the States.  This time I’d love to let you into my Korean life a bit more and hear all of the things that I will be missing when I leave this place in a mere 6 weeks.

Efficient Public Transportation.  While I can’t wait for the freedom of my own car, I am definitely going to miss the ease and low cost of public transportation.  From my apartment, I can either take the subway (10 min. walk from my apt) downtown in about 20 mins or take a bus (3min walk from apt) downtown in about 35 minutes.  Both options only cost about $1. Amazing. Intercity transportation is great too with options of buses, regular trains or the KTX (high speed train) at way affordable rates.

Ondol Heating.  Heating in most apartments including my own is accomplished by the heating of water in pipes underneath the floor.  Sadly, it’s not very cheap, but it is absolutely wonderful.  My feet are perpetually cold so floor heating is lovely.  Also, before you jump in the shower, lay your clothes to be worn on the floor and voila! Toasty clothes after your shower.

My students.  These girls will be the hardest part about leaving.  Honestly, they make being here worthwhile.  On different days they make me want to pull my hair out or laugh until I cry, but I love them all the same.

Orange Restaurants.  No, this is not a restaurant that sells oranges.  I don’t know how to describe them other than they are like Korean mom ‘n pop fast food restaurants and almost always have orange colored signs.  You can get a filling meal of bibimbap, kimbap, or mandu (dumplings) for less than $5 and these restaurants are everywhere.

Celebrity Status. As an English speaking foreigner, I am basically famous. Although the stares can get downright obnoxious, it’s the younger people that make it worthwhile.  Little kids will visibly gather up the courage to say “hi!”, children will elbow their friends and try to convince each other to say something to me, and brave groups of high school boys will tell me “you’re beautiful!” usually after lots of elbowing and shoving each other. Haha Don’t worry, my head will quickly deflate as soon as I get back to being anonymous.  

“Service”. If something is “service,” it means that it is free! I receive “service” things all the time.  From dessert or coffee following a meal at a restaurant to random things taped to products at grocery stores, service is always exciting.  One time I bought a box of cereal with a box of Ziploc bags taped to the front. Success!

My Neighborhood. 10 mins walking to the subway, 3 to a busy bus stop, 10 to the emart (like walmart) & gym, and 15 to school.  The older fruit lady who loves me and smiles every day and waves, the man with the dog who gave me coffee and acts like we're old friends, and the perpetually dirty barefoot man who says hello when everyone else avoids eye contact with him. The bakery on my walk home from school that knows I always get 2 almond pastry/biscotti type things for a total of 1,400won.  Hospitable Vivian at the coffee shop near my house.

Cheap and Efficient Health Care.  The few times I've gone to a doctor here, I walked into a clinic sans appt and had seen the doctor, been prescribed meds, paid less than $15 for meds and doctor visit, and was out within 30 minutes. amazing.

Coffee Shops on all corners! I love coffee.  If you want to win me over, a nice, large vanilla latte will probably do the trick.  In Korea, there are coffee shops everywhere.  I'm not joking. The sad thing is they don't open in the morning - they are more for socializing than for caffeine consumption, but they are amazing.  I have favorite ones in all parts of the city!

and to round it all out...

Everyday hilarity and adventures. I love that I never know what the day is going to bring.  Will the teacher across from me play his harmonica? Will I see a shirt with some inappropriate or just highly butchered English predominantly displayed? What random food will I get/have to try at school?

Just like the list of things I will appreciate about the US when I return, this list of things I have come to love in Korea could continue on and on. One thing I have really learned this year is to find the joy in everything.  When I'm hating life because I have to eat squid so I'm not disrespectful, I would remind myself of the blessing it is just to be on this adventure.  When I'm missing home and grumpy about old women elbowing me to get on the city bus, I try to think of how I will miss their bright puffy jackets, permed hair, and ginormous visors.

A goal I have when I return home is to continue to find the joy in the small things of life.
Sometimes it's hard, but it's so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment