While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The roundabout: Disappointment, moving forward, and enjoying the "now"

I have been avoiding this blog like the plague.

It hasn't been that I've been too busy or without life updates to share.  Rather, I've been waiting to have a positive update on my life and immediate future.  However, after 3 months of this avoidance, I've realized that I just need to step it up and share.

You might remember that I had applied to grad school and had that as the plan for the fall - disappointingly, I was not accepted into the program for this coming year (but you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be reapplying next year!) and have been readjusting my plan.  I'm currently looking/applying for full-time jobs and constantly reminding myself that everything will work out.

If you've read any of my other posts, you probably know that I love analogies.  So for now, I've decided that life feels like a roundabout.  I came in from Korea, thought I would continue halfway around the roundabout and continue straight on the path I had predetermined in my head.  Of course, God had other plans and now I'm just circling.  Wondering where life is going to spit me out.  Which job I will finally get, where it will be, etc. And as monotonous as it can be, it also has been a blessing.  Because of this down time, I have been able to really be involved with Steph's wedding, spend a ton of time up with my sister and her family, see family constantly, and just enjoy living back in my hometown.  This time has and still is teaching me humility, trusting God's plan for my life, how to deal with disappointment and to find the joy in the little things.

Okay, so now that I've gotten that out of the way, I plan on jumping back into blogging.  Not that you'll be getting ridiculously adventurous posts like when I was in Korea, but I've realized how much I truly do miss writing about life.

I just love this quote:
“The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be” - Marcel Pagnol

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! From my experience living abroad thus far, I can say that "adventure" is truly found within. I really thought that Japan would be like a magic pill that would "fix" everything I thought was wrong with me, like I'd come here and magically become exactly what I always wanted to be. But I find that even though I'm eating more sushi and sleeping on tatami mats, I'm still the same old, mildly crazy, soft-hearted, self-determined, and far-too-self-demanding guy. This experience is amazing, I'll give you that; but, finding ourselves is a process that God has laid out for us, and try as we might, we just can't see all the cards in the hand he's dealt us; and, fortunately for us, he's even willing to let us "go fish" once in a while. :) You're not circling, friend. You're exactly where he wants you to be, and exactly where you need to be, even if it feels like you're not. Just don't throw this in my face when I write you an email begging for more advice because I'm freaking out and want to come home! Anyway...I envy you! You can go to Red Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and of course I recognize that you already realize that, and I am happy that you are able to spend and enjoy so much time with your family! I miss that, too! I just wanted to share those thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your blog and I admire your faith despite plans not going your way. I know how that feels and it's not easy. God has great things in store for you- I'm sure of it! :)

    ReplyDelete