While my life may not be thrilling and extravagant everyday, I like to think the lulls in life are worth it to get to the exciting adventures --the ones that send me across the world, introduce me to life changing individuals, and deepen my love for people and the beautiful creation we live in. I want to invite you to share in my journey of adventures - to laugh, cry, and be filled with pure joy at each step of the way.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Musings of an Unemployed House Sitter.

For the past few weeks, I've been house sitting at two different homes - and absolutely loved it. (if you don't care about my house-sitting, skip to the bullet points below!)  While l am so grateful that my parents are willingly letting me live with them again, I definitely miss the independence that accompanies being on my own.  This house-sitting gave me such a glimpse of that again and boy was it wonderful!

The first 10 days were spent at Steph's condo in Turlock while her and Tom were relaxing in the Dominican Republic on their honeymoon. With her spunky cat Ripley as my buddy, I spent a lot of time watching Friends and just relaxing.  She had already cancelled her internet, so I had plenty of time to just have much needed introvert downtime after the busyness of preparing for and being in her wedding.
With Steph and Tom safely home, I had one night at my parents' house before heading to house-sitting adventure #2.  This one was at a family friends' house right down the street from my parents.  It was SO much fun. Back out in the country, lots of animals, and had a hilariously fun Wii dance game! With 2 active dogs, 2 cuddly cats, 2 spunky goats, and a rabbit named Pickles, I had my hands full but in the best way.
Nothing like a little goat entertainment in the evenings!
Walks with Ava were my favorite!!
 I woke up from my nap to this...even the rabbit and goats were asleep too!
 One evening I made pasta with pesto, Italian sausage, and sundried tomatoes complimented with a glass of white wine...YUM!
Love this dog!!

Anyway, all that to say, I had lots of time to think in the last few weeks.  Let's be honest, I've had lots of time to think in the last few months.  For some reason I haven't felt able to articulate these onto here, but there's no time like the present!


  • Life is unpredictable. It throws curve balls and fast balls and slow pitches and ones that seemed aimed at your face. I never imagined I would be where I am right now or where I have been for that matter. Sometimes it's rough to try to anticipate what kind of ball will be thrown next.  However, I think the best is to muster up the courage to just to step up to the plate and wait for the next pitch, because you never know when that home run will finally happen.
  • Job searching SUCKS. I'm just going to be honest.  I'm sick of rejection letters, no letters at all, and a lack of feeling adequate for anything.  I finally got an interview for a part-time position and did well in it (will get a 2nd interview soon) but that's it. almost 4 months of actively searching and I pretty much have nothing to show for it. I'm sick of people asking if I've found something and having to answer no. UGH.
  • Sometimes it takes more courage to stay in one place than it takes to run off to a different country. Not that I don't advocate for people to adventure and travel by ANY means.  I guess I'm just realizing there's a fine line between traveling to explore and learn and traveling to escape from something back home.
  • Contrary to unspoken small town belief, it is perfectly okay and normal not to be engaged, married, and/or pregnant at my ripe age of 23 (24 in a few weeks!).  Also, on that note, while I'm genuinely ecstatic for all of you that are any/multiple of those, I'm not burning with jealousy as some of you assume.  It will happen for me if/when God chooses, so please, please lay off the pity looks and comments. 
  • I think everyone should own a passport. and use it. They should go to a country where they don't speak the language and fumble through attempting to communicate.  They should eat food they wouldn't try back home (and have an open mind about it!). They should be willing to step out of their comfort zones - because the best adventures/stories come from that.
On a lighter note...other thoughts:
  • I wish summer fruits lasted year-round. Strawberries, cantelope, peaches, blueberries, and watermelon. yes, please.
  • Having an affinity for coffee is great. Non-coffee drinkers won't understand, but they don't realize what they're really missing out on.
  • I haven't been on a plane in 4 months and although they make me sick, I'm having withdrawls.
  • Cool summer evenings in the country are the best. Preferably accompanied with good friends, country music, and a good drink.
Well that's about it for now. As a closer, this has been heavy on my heart the past few days and may help you in some way or another.
  • The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. 
I hate that I'm always wanting what I used to have or what other people have, so I have a new goal and I want to challenge you to do the same:

Joyfully cultivate the grass you're currently standing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment